For Best Flash (Up to 1,000 words)
- "Final Statement" by Robert Bailey (The Flash Fiction Offensive, July 18, 2013)
- "Not My Day" by Stephen Buehler (Last Exit to Murder, Down & Out Books, June 2013)
- "The Needle and the Spoon" by Allan Leverone (Shotgun Honey, November 15, 2013)
- "Luck is What You Make" by Stephen D. Rogers (Crime Factory, May 2013)
- "Terry Tenderloin and the Pig Thief" by John Weagly (Shotgun Honey, June 21, 2013)
For Best Short Story (1,001–4,000 words)
- "Pretty Little Things" by Chris F. Holm (Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, July 2013)
- "The Present" by Robert Lopresti (The Strand Magazine, February-May 2013)
- "The Sweetheart Scamster" by Rosemary McCracken (Thirteen by the Mesdames of Mayhem, August 2013)
- "The Little Outlaw" by Mike Miner (Plan B Magazine, August 9, 2013)
- "The Cemetery Man" by Bill Pronzini (Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, July 2013)
For Best Long Story (4,001–8,000 words)
- "Myrna!" by John Bubar (Best New England Crime Stories 2014: Stone Cold, Level Best Books, September 2013)
- "Bloody Signorina" by Joseph D'Agnese (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, September 2013)
- "GIVE ME A DOLLAR" by Ray Daniel (Best New England Crime Stories 2014: Stone Cold, Level Best Books, September 2013)
- "Dance Man" by Andrew Jetarski (Last Exit to Murder, Down & Out Books, June 2013)
- "A Dangerous Life" by Adam Purple (Best New England Crime Stories 2014: Stone Cold, Level Best Books, September 2013)
For Best Novelette (8,001–20,000 words)
- "The Serpent Beneath the Flower" by Jack Bates (Mind Wings Audio, April 2013)
- "The Goddaughter's Revenge" by Melodie Campbell (Orca Rapid Reads, October 2013)
- "For Love's Sake" by O'Neil De Noux (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, July/August 2013)
- "The Antiquary's Wife" by William Burton McCormick (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, March 2013)
- "Last Night in Cannes" by James L. Ross (Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, November 2013)
Finalists may obtain certificates of achievement by emailing SMFS Vice President Gerald So (G_SO at YAHOO dot COM).
SMFS members who joined by December 31, 2013 vote to determine the winner in each category March 1–30, 2014. The winners will be announced Monday, March 31, 2014.
A wonderful lineup. Congratulations to all nominees and particularly the Short Mystery Fiction Society.
Once again, thank you, SMFS, for all the work you do! It is such an honor to be nominated.
My thanks for the nomination of "The Cemetery Man." It's another SMFS honor and much appreciated.
Post a Comment