Here is everything Society-related at Bouchercon 2015:
- 2015 Derringer Presentation
- Friday Meetup Lunch
- Flash and Bang Anthology
- Also at Bouchercon 2015
- Murder Under the Oaks Bouchercon Anthology 2015
- Toni Kelner sponsoring hospitality suite
- Macavity Awards
- Noir at the Bar Bouchercon 2015
- Shamus Awards
- S.J. Rozan's Basketball at Bouchercon
- Anthony Awards
- Panels Dedicated to Short Stories
- Other Panels with SMFS Members
- SMFS Attendees
If you downloaded the app last year, you may need to visit one of the links below to update it:
2015 Derringer Presentation
Art Taylor will present the 2015 Derringer medals during Bouchercon opening ceremonies (Thursday, October 8, 5:30 P.M. at the Marriott City Center - State Ballroom).
On hand to accept will be Best Flash Story winner Joseph D'Agnese; Best Long Story winner Hilary Davidson; Long Island Sisters in Crime President Kathleen A. Ryan on behalf of Best Short Story winner Cathi Stoler; and Ellery Queen's editor Janet Hutchings on behalf of Best Novelette winner Doug Allyn and lifetime achievement award recipient James Powell.
As usual, feel free to share photos or video of the presentation with SMFS blog admin Gerald So (G_SO at YAHOO dot COM) for posting here.
The Short Mystery Fiction Society began awarding the annual Derringers in 1998 as electronic certificate images honoring outstanding published stories, living writers' outstanding bodies of work, and people who've greatly advanced or supported the genre.
Our physical Derringer presentations date back to Bouchercon 2009, when then-VP Jim Doherty began funding, constructing, and presenting award plaques.
In 2015, Jim's plaques were superseded as the Society's physical awards by group-funded medals. In May, President Jan Christensen shipped 2009–14 medals to some Derringer winners Jim owed plaques; the others owed have arranged to receive medals by meeting Art Taylor at Bouchercon 2015.
If you are involved in planning a Bouchercon, particularly 2016 in New Orleans, feel free to contact our officers and help ensure the Derringer presentation is included.
Friday Meetup Lunch
Available SMFS members will go to lunch during a gap in the panel schedule, Friday, October 9, 11:00 A.M.–1:00 P.M.
At 11:15, Judy Penz Sheluk will meet members in the Sheraton lobby, and Kathleen A. Ryan will meet members in the Marriott lobby. The two groups will join other members at The Plaza Cafe by 11:30 A.M. (411 Fayetteville Street, Suite 109).
We have a party of thirty-eight on the group reservation. Members who missed out on reserving are welcome to tag along and take a chance on additional seating.
Flash and Bang Anthology
Flash and Bang from publisher Untreed Reads. Ebook pre-orders through Amazon and Apple iBooks will be delivered October 8, the same day the paperback is scheduled to be published.
Book dealers at Bouchercon won't have it in stock, and Untreed Reads won't be there, but attending Flash and Bang authors will be distributing promotional postcards and may be selling the anthology person-to-person.
Also at Bouchercon 2015
- Art Taylor edited the Bouchercon 2015 short fiction anthology, Murder Under the Oaks, which includes several SMFS members' stories and benefits the Wake County Public Libraries.
Pre-orders from publisher Down & Out Books can be picked up at Bouchercon or shipped to you after Bouchercon.
- Saturday, October 10, 10:30 A.M., Marriott: University A, B, C - Bouchercon 2015 Murder Under the Oaks Anthology Panel with moderator Art Taylor, guests of honor Magaret Maron, Kathy Reichs, Tom Franklin, Zoë Sharp, and Allan Guthrie, and other contributors.
After the panel, the contributors will sign the anthology 11:30 A.M.–1:00 P.M.
- Sunday, October 11, 10:00 A.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "Short, Sharp, and Shocking: The Mystery Short Story" with moderator Harriette Sackler, Art Taylor, Barb Goffman, John Shepphird, and Gigi Pandian.
- Thursday, October 8, 11:30 A.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room II - "True Criminals/True Detectives" with moderator Kathleen A. Ryan, Claire Booth, Carla Norton, Lynn Chandler Willis, and Michael Wiley.
- Thursday, October 8, 11:30 A.M., Sheraton: Oak Forest A,B - "New Faces: Best First Novel Nominees" with moderator Margaret Maron, Kristi Belcamino, M.P. Cooley, Julia Dahl, Allen Eskens, and Lori Rader-Day.
- Thursday, October 8, 11:30 A.M., Marriott: State C - "The Resurgence of the Traditional Mystery" with moderator Wendi Corsi Staub, Marcia Talley, Dorothy Cannell, Helen Smith, and Terrie Farley Moran.
- Thursday, October 8, 1:00 P.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "The Courtroom Criminals" with moderator Ken Isaacson, Kait Carson, Charles Rosenberg, Nancy Allen, and Anthony Franze.
- Thursday, October 8, 1:00 P.M., Marriott: State C - "What's in a Location? Location as Character" with moderator Sean Doolittle, Christine Carbo, Bryon Quertermous, James W. Ziskin, Glenn Eric Maganck.
- Thursday, October 8, 2:30 P.M., Sheration: Governor's Room I - "Beyond Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald, and Spillane" with moderator Peter Rozovsky, Kevin Burton Smith, Jordan Foster, Mark Coggins, and Sarah Weinman.
- Thursday, October 8, 2:30 P.M., Marriott: University A, B - "Tweet This: Taking Social Media to the Next Level with moderator Deborah Lacy, Maddee James, Janet Rudolph, Cara Brookins, and DruAnne Love.
- Friday, October 9, 8:30 A.M., Marriott: State A, B - "Plot Twists in the Mystery Narrative" with moderator Lori Armstrong, Kate Flora, Karen E. Olson, Matthew Clemens, and Penny Warner.
- Friday, October 9, 10:00 A.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "Jewish Noir" with moderator Kenneth Wishnia, Suzanne Solomon, Michael J. Cooper, Rob Lopresti, and Jason Starr.
- Friday, October 9, 10:00 A.M., Marriott: State A, B - "Paranormal in Mystery" with moderator Rochelle Staab, Heather Graham, Alexandra Sokoloff, Lorena Peter, and Toni Kelner.
- Friday, October 9, 10:00 A.M., Marriott: State C - "Write What You Know, The Day Job or Not?" with moderator Deborah Lacy, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Joe Clifford, Nancy G. West, and Susanna Calkins.
- Friday, October 9, 1:00 P.M., Marriott: State E, F - "What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of the Working Cadaver Dog" with moderator Cat Warren and Kate Flora.
- Friday, October 9, 1:00 P.M., Marriott: University A, B, C - "Crime in the Metropolis" with moderator Patricia Abbott, Steph Cha, Edith Maxwell, Rory Flynn, and Laura Caldwell.
- Friday, October 9, 2:30 P.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room II - "Acorns Nurtured Here: The Talent, Past, Present, & Future" with moderator Chris Roerden, Ruth Moore, Karen Pullen, Leslie Budewitz, and Alan Orloff.
- Friday, October 9, 2:30 P.M., Sheraton: Oak Forest A,B - "The Masters That Influenced the Masters in Crime & Mystery" with moderator Mark Coggins, Bill Crider, Karin Slaughter, Laura Lippman, and Lawrence Block.
- Friday, October 9, 4:00 P.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room II: "Importance of Book Clubs and Young Adult Literacy" with moderator Tina Whittle, Kaley Whittle, Destiny Geddis, Matthew McGrath, and B.K. Stevens.
- Friday, October 9, 4:00 P.M., Sheraton: Oak Forest A,B - "Beyond The Wire, Bosch, and True Detective: TV Crime Evolves" with moderator Lee Goldberg, Megan Abbott, Alison Gaylin, Christa Faust, and Tim O'Mara.
- Friday, October 9, 4:00 P.M., Marriott: State E, F - "New Faces, New Crimes, New Challenges" with moderator Paul D. Marks, Michele Dorsey, Lyn Brittan, Craig Faustus Buck, and Sam Wiebe.
- Saturday, October 10, 8:30 A.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "Taking the reader on a journey..." with moderator Catherine Dilts, P.A. De Voe, Mary Anna Evans, Janet Hubbard, and G.M. Malliet.
- Saturday, October 10, 8:30 A.M., Marriott: Congressional A, B - "Toastmaster Spotlight" with moderator Simon Wood, Lori Armstrong, and Sean Doolittle.
- Saturday, October 10, 8:30 A.M., Marriott: State A, B - "Where Crime & Mystery Meets Horror and The Weird" with moderator Nanci Kalanta, David Morrell, Chris F. Holm, Reece Hirsch, and John Rector.
- Saturday, October 10, 10:00 A.M., Sheraton: Oak Forest A, B - "Human Nature: Our Fascination with Law-Breakers and Law Enforcers in Fiction with moderator Hank Phillippi Ryan, Sara Paretsky, Lawrence Block, David Housewright, and Michael Koryta.
- Saturday, October 10, 10:00 A.M., Marriott: Congressional A, B - "Weaponry in Crime, Mystery, and Thrillers" with moderator John Gilstrap, Dianne Emley, Charles Salzberg, Seth Harwood, and Mark Troy.
- Saturday, October 10, 1:00 P.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "Maintaining Pace in the Mystery Narrative" with moderator Monette Michaels, Laura Benedict, Hilary Davidson, Rebecca Drake, and Annette Dashofy.
- Saturday, October 10, 1:00 P.M., Marriott: Congressional A, B - "Small Towns, Big Secrets" with moderator Donna Andrews, Tom Franklin, Maya Corrigan, LynDee Walker, and Judy Penz Sheluk.
- Saturday, October 10, 2:30 P.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room I - "High Tech/High Concept in Mystery with moderator Keith Raffel, Ray Daniel, Neely Tucker, Andrew Mayne, and Owen Laukkanen.
- Saturday, October 10, 2:30 P.M.. Marriott: State C, D - "In Honor of Librarians: A Southern Tea" with moderator Hank Phillippi Ryan, Karen Pullen, Toni Kelner, Richard Helms, and more.
- Sunday, October 11, 8:30 A.M., Sheraton: Governor's Room II - "Matching Motivation to Character in Propulsive Narrative" with moderator Richard Helms, Jeff Cohen, Barbara Graham, Daniel Palmer, and Lou Berney.
- Sunday, October 11, 8:30 A.M., Sheraton: Oak Forest A, B - "True Grit: Narrative Technique for Gritty, Pithy, & Page-Turning Dialogue with moderator Jack Getze, Colin Campbell, David Terrenoire, Jack Bludis, and Con Lehane.
- Sunday, October 11, 8:30 A.M., Marriott: State E, F - "Choose Your Voice: First, Third, or Omnipotent in Mystery Fiction with moderator Debra H. Goldstein, Bill Crider, Patricia Coleman, and Julieanne Holmes.
The SMFS's Toni L.P. Kelner is sponsoring the hospitality suite at the Marriott City Center Thursday, October 8, 1:00–3:00 P.M.
The Macavity Awards will be presented by Mystery Readers International director and Mystery Readers Journal editor Janet Rudolph during the October 8 opening ceremonies.
Voted on by members of Mystery Readers International, Mystery Readers Journal subscribers, and friends and supporters of MRI, the 2015 Macavity nominees for Best Short Story are all SMFS members: Craig Faustus Buck, Barb Goffman, Paul D. Marks, Travis Richardson, and Art Taylor.
Also Macavity-nominated are members Lori Rader-Day for Best First Novel and Hank Phillippi Ryan for Best Mystery-Related Nonfiction.
2015 Best Flash Derringer finalist Eryk Pruitt is hosting a Noir at the Bar Thursday, October 8, 7:00 P.M. at Common 414 (414 Fayetteville Street) with readings by SMFS member S.W. Lauden, Jedidiah Ayres, Eric Beetner, Joe Clifford, Jen Conley, Les Edgerton, Christa Faust, Ed Kurtz, Tom Pitts, Thomas Pluck, and Johnny Shaw.
The Private Eye Writers of America's Shamus Awards banquet takes place Friday, October 9, 6:30 P.M. at Big Ed's City Market Restaurant. For more information, email Bob Randisi (RRANDISI at AOL dot COM).
The Shamus finalists include SMFS members Richard Helms for Best P.I. Short Story and B.V. Lawson for Best Indie P.I. Novel.
S.J. Rozan's Basketball at Bouchercon annual game is Saturday, October 10, 12:40–2:40 P.M. Meet in front of the book dealers' room. Anyone can play. Bring two tee shirts (one light, one dark), your sneakers, and enough money for cab fare. The court is about ten minutes' ride from the con.
The Anthony Awards ceremony and reception is Saturday, October 10, 6:45 P.M. at the Marriott City Center - State Ballroom.
Like Bouchercon itself, the Anthonys are named in memory of author and editor Anthony Boucher. The Anthony nominees have received the most mentions in a poll of full-time Bouchercon registrants and those who registered for last year's event. Bouchercon 2015 attendees vote on the nominees throughout the con.
The nominees include SMFS members Craig Faustus Buck, Kate Flora, Barb Goffman, Paul D. Marks, Karen Pullen, Lori Rader-Day, Hank Phillippi Ryan, and Art Taylor.
The event schedule is live at Bouchercon2015.org and will be updated regularly:
- Panels Dedicated to Short Stories:
SMFS members, feel free to comment on this post with panels you are on.
Comment on this post or email blog admin Gerald So (G_SO at YAHOO dot COM) to add your name to the list of attendees:
Paula Gail Benson, Jack Bludis, Craig Faustus Buck, Kait Carson, Bill Crider, Joseph D'Agnese, Ray Daniel, Annette Dashofy, Hilary Davidson, Pam De Voe, Catherine Dilts, Eve Fisher, Kate Flora, John M. Floyd, Susan Furlong, Barb Goffman, Lee Goldberg, Debra H. Goldstein, Richard Helms, Chris F. Holm, James M. Jackson, Toni L.P. Kelner, Su Kopil, Deborah Lacy, Robert Lopresti, Robert Mangeot, Paul D. Marks, Terrie Farley Moran, Edith Maxwell, Alan Orloff, Josh Pachter, Gigi Pandian, Karen Pullen, Bryon Quertermous, Travis Richardson, Suzanne Berube Rorhus, Kathleen A. Ryan, Karen E. Salyer, Judy Penz Sheluk, Kevin Burton Smith, B.K. Stevens, Mary Stojak, Rebecca Swope, Art Taylor, Mark Troy.